Syntax tweak: hostname at IP-Address

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Nov 12 01:07:28 UTC 2020

I've been thinking about something like this for a while.  The idea is to be
able to specify the IP Address to be used for contacting a NTP or NTS-KE
server.

There was discussion on the IETF-NTP list today about how to get NTP started
on systems without (or broken) CMOS/TOY clocks whem you are using DNSSEC which
needs time.

I think this would be a useful tool in that direction.

We could put a cache in /etc/hosts

There are similar problems with root certificates expiring.

Does anybody have better suggestions for the syntax?  Or for alternatives for
bypassing DNSSEC?