ntpq vs Python 3.8

James Browning jamesb.fe80 at gmail.com
Mon May 25 22:53:46 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 25, 2020, at 3:31 PM Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Fedora is updating from Python 3.7 to 3.8.
>
> That breaks ntpq (and friends) because the installed ntp libraries are over in 3.7 but ntpq is looking in 3.8
>
> Is there a good/clean fix for this?  Should the code that chops the ".py? off the name also fixup the first line of the script to replace "python" with "python3.x"?

I had a branch that could run on multiple Python major/minor combos,
but it is out of date, there are questions about performance, and it
dropped a point priority wise now that 2.7 is dead.

IIRC ntpq and at least some friends pull in ntp.ntpc which would
require recompile unless 3.8 is just being added not replacing 3.7.
So, no there's not a good/clean solution as stated.