time changed from 2020-07-03 to 2022-05-18

James Browning jamesb.fe80 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 20:00:00 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020, at 6:05 AM Udo van den Heuvel via devel
<devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 03-07-2020 15:00, Hal Murray wrote:
> >> How can I avoid this from happening again?
> >
> > That isn't enough info to figure out what happened.  Somehow, ntpd thought the
> > time was way off, and you had the -g switch on that allowed it to take big
> > jumps.  If you turn off the -g switch, ntpd will exit instead.  You will have
> > to start it again by hand.  (Or maybe systemd will restart it, but that's
> > another problem.)
>
> Done removing -g.
>
> > I'm guessing you have a GPS unit.  (Or something similar, but GPS is the most
> > common source of non-network time.)  What sort of GPS unit?  gpsd?  ...
>
> Garmin gps18x on the serial port with USB power.
> With just $GPGGA and $GPRMC enabled, so where did it find that weird date?

It is too small to be a rollover issue I think. I might also suggest
raising tos minclock and minsane to greater values on the premise that
they may prevent a single clock from stepping your time so much. maybe
7 and 4 as opposed to 3 and 1 but I am probably wrong.