time changed from 2020-07-03 to 2022-05-18

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 3 13:05:31 UTC 2020

On 03-07-2020 15:00, Hal Murray wrote:
>> How can I avoid this from happening again?
>
> That isn't enough info to figure out what happened.  Somehow, ntpd thought the
> time was way off, and you had the -g switch on that allowed it to take big
> jumps.  If you turn off the -g switch, ntpd will exit instead.  You will have
> to start it again by hand.  (Or maybe systemd will restart it, but that's
> another problem.)

Done removing -g.

> I'm guessing you have a GPS unit.  (Or something similar, but GPS is the most
> common source of non-network time.)  What sort of GPS unit?  gpsd?  ...

Garmin gps18x on the serial port with USB power.
With just $GPGGA and $GPRMC enabled, so where did it find that weird date?

> Things should be setup such that servers from the network sanity check your
> GPS clock.  What's in your ntp.conf?

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
nts key /etc/letsencrypt/keys/0000_key-certbot.pem
nts cert /etc/letsencrypt/csr/0000_csr-certbot.pem
restrict default nomodify nopeer noquery
restrict -6 default nomodify nopeer noquery
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict -6 ::1
restrict 192.168.10.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify
refclock nmea unit 0 mode 7 flag3 1 flag2 0 flag1 0 time1 0.00000006
time2 0.260 baud 4800
refclock pps unit 0 flag2 0
disable monitor
server 192.168.10.98 minpoll 4 iburst
server fd00:c0a8:a00:1::1
server time.cloudflare.com:1234 nts  # TLS1.3 only
server ntpmon.dcs1.biz nts
server pi4.rellim.com nts
server ntp1.glypnod.com nts
server ntp2.glypnod.com nts