Fuzz, Numbers

Mike Yurlov ntp at kaluga.net
Mon Jan 13 11:59:29 UTC 2020

cpu affinity? If you have network card with many tx/rx threads (modern
PCI-E card can use MSI-X and 'software irq'), you can bind different
card threads/irqs to cores and ntpd process to other core. On BSD we use
cpuset to spread and bing threads to cores.

On Linux see script set_irq_affinity.sh**from Intel drivers
(https://gist.github.com/SaveTheRbtz/8875474)
<https://gist.github.com/SaveTheRbtz/8875474>and others in in drivers
https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/

Also you can google articles like 'linux router performance', for
example https://github.com/strizhechenko/netutils-linux (maybe also
rss-ladder tools can help ) or
https://blog.packagecloud.io/eng/2016/06/22/monitoring-tuning-linux-networking-stack-receiving-data/

Network stack tuning not simple. Performance is need good NIC
multithread chip and good driver. As I know, Intel NIC chipsets and
drivers really the best here.

--
Mike Yurlov