--enable-doc waf config option removed

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon Feb 3 00:59:40 UTC 2020

On 2/2/20 6:25 PM, James Browning via devel wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 2, 2020, at 3:49 PM Gary E. Miller via devel
> <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
>>
>> Yo Jason!
>>
>> On Sun, 02 Feb 2020 16:44:25 -0500
>> Jason Azze via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
>>
>>> It looks like the --enable-doc waf configuration option was removed
>>> in the commit "Add support for other asciidoc processors". Was there
>>> any discussion about this change?
>>
>> Not that I saw.  I'm for bringing it back.

If "it" is the --enable-doc option, there is still an option. As
discussed on the list (see "Building Docs by Default" starting December
30), only the default has changed. Docs are now built by default, which
changes the name of the option. If you were using --enable-doc, you can
just omit that when calling "waf configure". If you were NOT using
--enable-doc, then add --disable-doc.

If "it" refers to asciidoc, it is still supported and detected by "waf
configure" as before:

>> Asciidoctor pulls in
>> ruby, and ruby mutates so quickly that I find it often broken.
>
> Unless someone changed it, Asciidoc still works. Rated as a second
> fiddle though. As well as Asciidoc-py3 (second in line to replace
> Asciidoc) and Asciidoc3 which has a seat at the foot of the table.

All three work. I (of course) didn't change this when merging your MR.

> It would appear that I do not have enough experience with ruby
> to form a properly negative opinion yet.

The Debian package of asciidoctor has been stable for me.

--
Richard