GitLab | Projects forced to "Private" (#294196)

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Fri Dec 18 03:01:52 UTC 2020

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> James Browning via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
>> The ntpsec forks belonging to rlaager, selsky, and ianbreune are still
>> detached. A quick check shows that there are no forks. The page I looked at
>> claimed that such detached repositories cannot be reattached. TLDR there is
>> only on MR that still might be mergeable.
>
> Annoying, but recoverable.

I'm not sure that is recoverable by users directly.  And the "if you broke
it, you fix it" rule ought to apply to the GitLab folks.  Fully recovering
from this requires:

1) Fixing the project visibility.

2) Undetaching all the erroneously detached forks.

3) Recovering (reopening?) all the erroneously closed merge requests.

4) ???

And this needs to be done for all affected projects.

It seems that they've only done #1 so far.  Both my gpsd and ntpsec forks
currently show as "Forked from an inaccessible project".  However, I have
two other GitLab forks that don't appear to have been affected, so it's
not *all* GitLab projects.

Fred Wright