Blizard of mail from GitLab-Abuse-Automation

James Browning jamesb.fe80 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 23:38:19 UTC 2020

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 12:40 PM Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>
wrote:

> GitLab Abuse folks:
>
> A user (bot?) named @GitLab-Abuse-Automation closed a bunch of
> legitimate NTPsec merge requests:
>

> :::snip list of merge requests:::

> Worse, I (@rlaager) seem to be unable to reopen the MRs, so I can't fix
> this. For example, I tried reopening these two:
> https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/www/-/merge_requests/33
> https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/-/merge_requests/1091
>

> Can you help?
>

> Other NTPsec developers are confused too:
>
> On 12/16/20 12:06 PM, Hal Murray via devel wrote:
> > Can somebody tell me/us what happened?  Why?  ...
>
> On 12/16/20 2:04 PM, James Browning via devel wrote:
>  > My guess is that GitLab deployed a new bot and it (probably) somewhat
>  > overzealously closed almost all of the merge requests.

After looking at it a little more it appears that something temporarily
disconnected several forked projects and during the disconnect, a perfectly
routine bot noticed the projects were 'gone' but did not notice when they
'came back'. As a result, the merge requests can not be reopened as the
projects of the source branches are 'gone'.

I am probably wrong about this too.