libntpc.so

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Dec 15 02:25:23 UTC 2020

Yo Hal!

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 18:14:24 -0800
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Gary said:
> > I'm not on Debian.  I'm on Gentoo.  Not the same.
>
> Are you using LD_LIBRARY_PATH.?

Nope.  Gentoo defaults include /usr/local/lib*.  So no need to
add them to LD_LIBARAY_PATH.

> > We should only be programming to the POSIX man pages.  So we get
> > some portability.
>
> We have to do something when POSIX doesn't cover a topic.

I think you have that backwards.  We should do what POSIX wants, as
that has a chance to work almost everywhere.  Trying to understand
all the ways that distros do it is a lot of work.

> The man page for Gentoo look very similar to the one from Fedora or
> Debian.  FreeBSD and NetBSD are different.

Yup.  Mostly what differs from Fedora to gentoo is the defaults.

Much easier to jsut do it once, the POSIX way.

> > The next, and important, question, is whether runtime now works for
> > you?
>
> Yes, after I add /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ntpd.conf containing
> /usr/local/lib64/

I think LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the POSIX way to do it.

> I think we should install such a file containing LIBDIR
> on systems where /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ is a directory.

Gonna be a lot of corner casaes with $PREFIX, $DESTDIR, etc.

> I don't think it will break anything and it will fix the new Fedora
> case.

Luckily a problem I do not have.  I just can't install...