Re: ✘Python 2.7 broken

James Browning jamesb.fe80 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 19:25:40 UTC 2020

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020, at 9:49 AM Gary E. Miller via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>
wrote:

> Yo James!
>
> On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 02:00:41 -0800
> James Browning via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
>
> > IIRC the python ntpclients compare version includes the git commit
> > (excluding releases?) And includes the build epoch. I remember that
> > the build epochs didn't match in a version of the Gentoo ebuild.
>

> You can't use build epochs to match files.  waf will happily let you
> recompile only parts of a package.  Then the build epochs do not match.

They should take less rope then. If only to decrease the warnings.

> Another reason not to use them it to move to reproduceable builds.
> Ideally you can build the same source at different times on different
> hosts, and the results match exactly.

How about the attached patches then. The first tries to grab the time of
the last git commit, but only if neither the environment nor command line
contains a timestamp.

The latter changes the extended version format to list commits since the
last tag (if not 0) and a dirty tree indicator.

Otherwise, I'd have to recommend you do something productive about it.