✘Python 2.7 broken

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sun Dec 13 01:53:06 UTC 2020

Yo Richard!

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 19:46:22 -0600
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 12/12/20 7:07 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > NTPsec git head broke Python 2.7, badly.
>
> I believe James B is looking at test failures under certain
> conditions, but I've never been able to reproduce them. I wonder if
> this is that issue. Do the installed binaries break in the same way
> when run normally, or are they only broken at the test step?

Installed python files run fine.  The pure python module runs fine
installed.

> Are you able to provide a commit where this works and preferably
> bisect this? I wonder if it's the FFI change or something else.

It is not FFI related as it breaks all the Python utilities.

Not sure how to test the FFI installed FFI.. ntpc.so still getting
installed in the wrong place (/usr/local/lib64/python2.7/site-packages)
and the versions .so not being created (ntpc.so.1, etc.) even when I run
ldconfig.  Since the file is not in the right place ldconfig does not
know to look there.  Nor should it.

Bisecting will take a while.  I have a new RasPi4 that is requiring
my time to get right.