ntp in /etc/services

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Aug 12 09:44:27 UTC 2020

> Is that a bug, or should I remove that chunk of text?

That doesn't seem very clear.  Let me try again.

The documentation mentions /etc/services
The current code doesn't use it.  It passes "123" rather than "ntp" to the DNS
lookup routines.

How should we fix that?
  1) fix documentation (easy, remove 2 lines)
  2) change code to use /etc/services

The second choice might be interesting for some reason that I'm not aware of.

There is another possibility -- a configure time option.  That doesn't seem
interesting to me but might be appropriate if using /etc/services is the right
thing to do but some systems don't support it or we decide not to use
/etc/services in the normal case but there is some obscure case that needs it.