Considering dropping Python 2 support (was Re: Python.h quirk)

Mark Atwood mark.atwood at ntpsec.org
Sat Sep 21 21:33:37 UTC 2019

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019, at 11:03, Eric S. Raymond via devel wrote:

> The problem, of course, is that the Python 2 and Python3 development
> package both want to own Python.h,
> and the name is not versioned.
>
> I don't see any fix for this other than "have the right dev kit
> installed whebn you build".

Given that the Python community is driving hard on deprecating Python2 on 2020-01-01, I'm inclined to drop Python2 support on that date.

https://pythonclock.org/

I've read random suppositions that there may be a "renegade" fork to "Python 2.8" or "Python 2.9" but even if that happens, the distros will still be forced to clarify which one is installed.

..𐑥𐑸𐑒
Mark Atwood <mark.atwood at ntpsec.org>
Project Manager of the NTPsec Project
+1-206-604-2198