Future directions

Mark Atwood mark.atwood at ntpsec.org
Mon Sep 16 22:23:40 UTC 2019

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019, at 14:09, Hal Murray via devel wrote:
> I think we should put the current stuff on the back burner and make a new SHM
> interface where the clients are read only.
>
> Is shmget/shmat the right API to use?  I remember discussions of there being a
> wrong API but don't remember any details.

I always liked the idea of moving to a shm or a local socket "clockd" interface.

 (Under the hood, a UNIX domain socket or a 127/8 localhost socket is nothing more than merely a shm segment and two semiphore locks.)

A clockd interface was, in fact, part of the original plan.  Maybe make it the plan again?

..m