ntp.conf changes for NTS

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Jan 31 20:39:25 UTC 2019

Yo Achim!

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 21:16:25 +0100
Achim Gratz via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller via devel writes:
> >> I think you'd
> >> need to reconnect to the NTS-KE, but at least need to re-key the
> >> TLS session
> >
> > Why?  To get new C2S and S2C?
>
> Yes.

The C2S and S2C already get reused millions of times, what's a few more
million?

> >> before asking for the next server in that scenario.
> >
> > Which is the big issue.  How does an NTPD client connect to an
> > NTS-KE and ask for a "next server"?  The NTS-KE server has no
> > state, so it has no idea of next.
>
> The NTS-KE does have a state with the client, which is precisely the
> state associated with the TLS connection, which is also the base for
> deriving the S2C and C2S keys.

But, as you said, the TLS "has" to be renogotiated, so that state is lost
for the next request.

> > The NTPD client has no way to tell the NTS-KE server what
> > servers it already has cookies for.
>
> ...if the method of asking the NTS-KE a second time is to close the
> current and then open a new session.  That's why I'm thinking it would
> be useful to keep the connection and just rekey it so the NTS-KE
> doesn't give out the same server again.

Which would be a big change to the Proposed RFC, so an interoperability
issue.  No current way to ask for "not the same server".  No way to ask
how many are available.

> > I suspect it is better for the NTPD client to as the NTS-KE server
> > for "X" number of NTPD servers, but the protocol has no way to do
> > that.
>
> I think that's one of the things to figure out before the RFC goes to
> vote.

The Proposed RFC gets locked down long before any vote.  It may already be
too late.

> > Next virtual meeting of the NTP WG is Feb 12.  Maybe we should get
> > some of these issues on their agenda?
>
> Who is going to participate?

Daniel Franke is usually our guy.  Dunno if he is following this discussion,
so we should give him an issue document.