ntp.conf changes for NTS

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Thu Jan 31 20:16:25 UTC 2019

Gary E. Miller via devel writes:
>> I think you'd
>> need to reconnect to the NTS-KE, but at least need to re-key the TLS
>> session
>
> Why?  To get new C2S and S2C?

Yes.

>> before asking for the next server in that scenario.
>
> Which is the big issue.  How does an NTPD client connect to an NTS-KE and
> ask for a "next server"?  The NTS-KE server has no state, so it has no idea
> of next.

The NTS-KE does have a state with the client, which is precisely the
state associated with the TLS connection, which is also the base for
deriving the S2C and C2S keys.

> The NTPD client has no way to tell the NTS-KE server what
> servers it already has cookies for.

...if the method of asking the NTS-KE a second time is to close the
current and then open a new session.  That's why I'm thinking it would
be useful to keep the connection and just rekey it so the NTS-KE doesn't
give out the same server again.

> I suspect it is better for the NTPD client to as the NTS-KE server for
> "X" number of NTPD servers, but the protocol has no way to do that.

I think that's one of the things to figure out before the RFC goes to vote.

> Next virtual meeting of the NTP WG is Feb 12.  Maybe we should get some
> of these issues on their agenda?

Who is going to participate?

Regards,
Achim.