ntp.conf changes for NTS

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Jan 30 21:38:19 UTC 2019

Yo Richard!

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 15:25:47 -0600
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 1/30/19 1:41 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 01:19:08 -0600
> > Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
> >
> >> So in this example, you have ntp.example.com as the NTS-KE server,
> >> and 1.2.3.4 or bob.example.com as the NTP servers? I assume it has
> >> to be that way, as TLS doesn't work _in practice_ (yes, I know it
> >> is supported in theory) with IP addresses, so 1.2.3.4 can't be the
> >> NTS-KE server.
> >
> > Uh, no.  I use TLS with IPs all the time.
>
> Do you have have full certificate verification on?

Of course.  Firefox asks me if it is OK, and I just say YES.

> It is possible to put an IP address into the subjectAltName, but most
> if not all public CAs these days will not issue a certificate that
> way.

I use LE, they do not allow IPs in certs.

> So you can do it if you have an internal CA, but otherwise
> you're either bypassing certificate validation or you're not doing it.

I'm bypassing.  Pretty common in data centers to do that:

https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/certificate-for-public-ip-without-domain-name/6082/42

I find TLS to an IP useful for some odd edge cases.  Others will avoid
host names due to security or connectivity concerns.