Diagram hacking and UTF-8

James Browning jamesb.fe80 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 12:11:17 UTC 2019

On 1/18/19, Eric S. Raymond via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
> While I think I get exactly why JamesB192 unleashed ditaa on the flow
> diagram in nts.adoc, I think it's overkill for this use. One of the
> possible futures for this document includes large parts of it becoming
> the header comment in a file named ntske.c.

I neither have nor use ditaa. I was going to test out an asciidoctor plugin*
but failed in that I can not get the thing to install on Windows. It should have
taken the ASCII graphic chart and spit out a nice SVG file that was then
linked in automagically.

* https://asciidoctor.org/docs/asciidoctor-diagram/

> Accordingly, I'm thinking about redrawing it.  Only not in
> conventional ASCII art; it's 2019 and I think we can get away with
> using UTF-8 forms characters.
>
> They'll display just fine on Linux terminal emulators and in web
> pages.  Can anybody think of a reason not to do so?  I can fall back
> to ASCII art...

Fine with me if it looks better / is more maintainable than the mess I made.
Probably best to remove the pseudo-ditaa header though.