devel/nts.adoc

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Jan 18 10:01:00 UTC 2019

> Except that there is no simple way to translate Alpha to one of those boxes.
> You didn't pick left to right, top to bottom, or clockwise starting at X.

Yeah, I adapted it from somebody else's diagram and didn't think about
recomposing it. My bad.

> I think typos in the document would get fixed quickly.  Typos in email are
> more complicated.  So are reados.

Right, that's exactly the sort of thing I was aiming to head off.

> > There used to be even more more risk of such typos before I replaced "-C"
> > with "-client" and "-S" with "-server".
>
> That part was good.  I think we should make a pass changing NTS to NTS-KE.
> That also reduces the likelihood of typos.

That's already pretty much done. I was going to do it myself, then it
landed in one of James Browning's revisions.  There are a couple of
cases where it's questionable whether to use NTS or NTS-KE, so far
I've left those alone but that might change.

While checking this I found and fixed an NTP- for NTS- typo which came of
*not* using the phonetic-alphabet names.  Which I take as evidence that I made
the right call in the first place (it had been only a theoretical possibility
before).

Now that you've prodded me about the issue I'll have a look at changing the
diagram and terminology to be clearer.  If I do it will be all the way
through in one revision so the switchover will be clean, and I'll announce
it clearly.

Thanks.  You continue to be really good at constructive nitpicking :-)
It's a skill that gets more important the more we are focused on
getting things 100% right, and I value it.