ntpd: program structure

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sun Jan 6 18:23:38 UTC 2019

Sanjeev Gupta via devel writes:
> root at ntpmon:~# ntpq -n -c direct -c mrulist | wc -l
> 17306
>
> I am in the sg, in, and asia pools.  v4 and v6.  Server access is available
> if you wish to poke around.

What's the interface speed to the outside world, how much of it is used
up by NTP and what's the CPU load that can be accounted towards that
service?

On the rsntp pages I linked to in my previous post the theoretical
packet rate for a (duplex I assume) gigabit ethernet interface was given
as 1100k, which should serve well over 70000 clients if the hpoll is 6
or greater.  Three threads on an (admittedly rather beefy) Haswell Xeon
almost reached line rate with that server.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: