The request side of NTS is working

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Feb 19 19:23:39 UTC 2019

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> What I will do, unless you tell me there's something really important about
> those three wired-in order tables in ntp_control.c, is move them to ntpq.

I think the 3 tables are in 3 different spaces.  There is the main table of
global variables.  There is the one for the "peers" listing which has quite a
few variants.  It's a different name space - you have to tell it which peer
you want.  The globals may be peer 0.

You said the 3rd is "default clock variables".    There is a subset of the
global variables that is actually coming from the kernel via ntp_adjtime.
Search for CS_KERN_FIRST.

The thing that gripes me about ntp_control is that for each of the tables
mentioned above, there are actually 3 parallel tables and they are a long way
apart so a pain to update.  Maybe if we just interlaces the #defines with the
text lookup tables it would be less painful to update.

> Now I can add this: at least one of the orderings wired into ntp_control.c is
> there to preserve exact interface compatibility with the extinct species
> "fuzzball"!  In 2019 this seems silly.

I'm not particularly attached to any order of the printout.  I don't remember
any flame wars on that topic.

Somebody has to decide what the order is.  If you are moving things to ntpq,
we can fix the order there to be the same.