Wildcards on cert host checking

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Feb 13 22:52:35 UTC 2019

Gary said:
>> Amy reason to allow or prohibit them?
> Do you mean the option to reject certs where the cert name
> is: *.example.com?

> Do you mean for client or server cert checking?

I'm interested in the case where the client is checking the cert from the
server.

OpenSSL doesn't default to requiring a cert or checking it.  You have to check
it explicitly, and if you want to verify that the cert came from the right
place you have to give OpenSSL a hostname to check.  That same area of the API
has an option to disable wildcards.