Going forward with NTS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Feb 6 04:01:58 UTC 2019

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> Don't you think it makes sense to very our client code against a known-good
> implementation first, though?

Maybe.  Maybe not.

If we had a known-good server and somebody who was sitting next to me knew all
about it and was prepared to help debug, sure that would be a good way to go.

But I don't agree with your "first".  I think we know enough about what we
need to do that the risk of wasting a lot of effort because we got a bogus
program structure is low so I don't see the need to do that testing early.

Devil's advocate hat on.  We should debug as much as possible independently
and then see if they inter-operate.  If not, we should figure out why.  If the
people reading the specs got different answers, there is probably a section
that needs tweaking to avoid an ambiguity.

Here is an alternative sequence...
  Write hack program to call NTS-KE-server, send request, get answer, decode
and print answer.
  Debug that program on existing remote server.
  Use it to debug our server.

That program would probably be handy for debugging so maybe we should write it
anyway.