Docs we will need

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed Feb 6 01:49:45 UTC 2019

On 2/4/19 3:40 PM, Hal Murray via devel wrote:
> At shutdown probably isn't good enough.  You don't get clean shutdowns on a
> site wide power loss.  Maybe shutdown and a weekly/monthly cron job.

Sure, that's a fair point. I'm not sure what the default behavior is on
Raspberry Pi systems.

> Are there other files we can use?  log files?  They are all based on normal
> activity using the system clock so if the clock is off, they all get polluted.
> Maybe the ntpd drift file?

I would urge caution about going down this route. If something goes
wrong, your file timestamps can be bogus too. You can't really trust
them any more than the system time. I experienced this personally when
my GPS got the wrong year (possibly wrong century, probably due to
issues I'll discuss in the other thread?).

I have a specific proposal that I'll hopefully write up tonight, which
may address the needs in this space.

--
Richard