Fuzz, Numbers

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Dec 31 22:30:37 UTC 2019

> The synthetic load with only one client is far away from real production
> load of thousands of requests per second from around the world. As the  owner
> of the production server from the ntppool, I am very interested in
> performance.

I think the no-MRU (or early/small MRU) case should be a lot better now.  Can
you try git head?

> Warming up, filling and overflow monlist plays a big role  in CPU load. For
> me, a monlist size that fills in about 5 minutes is  optimal.

It shouldn't play a big role.  Or at least I can't see any reason it should.
It should be a few cache faults.

The MRU hash table was limited to 16 bits.  I have no idea why.  It's probably
leftover from when even big machines didn't have much memory.  I'm about to go
fix that.  Should be simple, but I've said that before

In case you haven't found it yet, if you turn on usestats, ntpd will log
memory and CPU usage.  (I should add packets.)

> I suggest using the following realistic test mode: big source address  subnet
> (i.e. /8 or 'all internet'); queries per sec 3-10-20k; duration  5-30
> minutes.

Something like that would be nice.  I don't know enough about filtering
packets and/or what the filter does to CPU usage.  Thanks for the pointer.