[OT] Splitting PPS?

ASSI Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sat Dec 14 07:25:11 UTC 2019

Richard Laager via devel writes:
> Upon further investigation, there is a concern about the GPS antenna
> placement.

What concern(s)?

> Does anyone have recommendations for GPS antenna RF-to-fiber converters
> or other ways to have the GPS antenna a long way (in a building) from
> the GPS receiver?

The setup you've described previously should already downconvert and
amplify the GPS to something that can be sent through long cheap coax
runs (you need to check the exact part numbers since these came in a
variety of flavors).  This signal can be re-amplified with standard
inline LNA you'd use for video feeds.  I don't think an "inside the
building" run will exceed what you can do with that kind of setup (these
kits are typically speced for 300…500m w/o extra amplification).  LNA
inline amplifiers for unadulterated GPS also exist so you can extend
your cable runs w/o converters (that generally requires better coax than
you'd be able to use for the downconverted signal).  RF downconverted
signals are also easy to split via video distribution amps, but of
course require matching receivers.

If the concern is rather about lightning protection and grounding, then
fiber is probably the easier solution, but will be more expensive
up-front.  If you search for "GPS over fiber" you'll get a good overview
of the market.  Which kit is most appropriate for your situation depends
on a lot of factors.

Last but not least, you could get an industrial PC with SFP slot
directly on the roof and directly send out NTP from there over fiber.
If you want to go all out, make that a WhiteRabbit link.

Regards,
Achim.