Anybody object to requiring OpenSSL 1.0.2 or newer?

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Mon Dec 9 18:18:17 UTC 2019

Hal Murray via devel writes:
> Anybody running on macOS?  Solaris?  (Open)SUSE?  ....

My two desktop machines run openSUSE Tumbleweed (rolling distro of the
latest and greatest), so I never have that problem there.  SUSE
enterprise Linux is a slightly different story, but not as long in the
tooth as RHEL6 (at least if you assume the latest SP got installed,
which I believe is mandatory to keep it supported).  However on the
segment that is served by these distributions, you'll still find openSSL
1.0.1 of various vintage.  In general for minimum support requirements
I'd look to RHEL5 (no longer supported since two years, but still in
use) or RHEL6 (EOL 11/2020) as canaries.

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=redhat

It is unlikely to find any other distro that has a significant user base
and uses an older version of just about anything.  Next up would be
Debian (e.g. Jessie doesn't have 1.0.2 and is EOL 05/2020).

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: