Fuzzing Messages

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sun Dec 1 08:35:04 UTC 2019

Richard Laager via devel writes:
> That was the case for me _at startup_, but not after that. (See the
> attached logs.)

I think the culprit is somewhere in the NTS client code.

>>>  This would also explain why a server
>>> that has many clients would see many more such errors.
>
> Why's that? What DNS lookups is ntpd doing for clients?

I've seen the errors either in conjunction with pool refreshes or NTS
handshakes.

> Attached is what I have right away, filtered for DNS|CLOCK.

Maybe add NTSc, see above.

I haven't seen a fuzz error since installing the patched version, but as
I said I would need another week or so to reasonably be able to
correlate it to this change.  I do get more messages about blockage than
I used to get about fuzz errors, but maybe two or three times more, not
an order of magnitude.

Regards,
Achim.