new ntpleapfetch

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Sep 29 03:56:40 UTC 2018

> I've sent a communication to NIST asking if they'd be willing to host  the
> leap-seconds.list on an https link in addition to the existing ftp source.

Thanks.

The other approach is to get IETF to update their copy in a timely fashion.
That's probably as simple as finding out who to poke.  It may be a corner of
the TZ project.  I'll go poke around.

> NIST exists for a reason, and they distribute leap-seconds.list for a reason,
> and with the  expectation of constant traffic. Likewise IETF. Canonical
> sources should be where people - and  software - are pointed to.

Agreed, mostly.  There is a big difference between the traffic from a few
geeks occasionally downloading a file and a swarm of systems downloading from
a cron job.

Years ago, a friend introduced me to a great term.  I asked him what happens
if his application took off?  Did he have plans for the servers.  His response
was "That's a success disaster.  If that happens, we can get the resources we
need."  But that context was all within one organization.  With something like
NIST or IETF, our success disaster could be their problem.