new ntpleapfetch

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at anastrophe.com
Sat Sep 29 02:54:00 UTC 2018

On 9/28/2018 19:06 PM, Hal Murray via devel wrote:
> Plan B would be to host a copy of the file ourselves.  Then we can update it
> as appropriate and we can beef up the server if the load becomes significant.
> That's a commitment to long term service.
I'm just a random jackass on the Internet, so happily acknowledge that I
have  zero expectation of
my opinions having any weight. I don't think doing this would be a good
idea.  NIST exists for a
reason, and they distribute leap-seconds.list for a reason, and with the
expectation of constant
traffic. Likewise IETF. Canonical sources should be where people - and
software - are pointed to.

I've sent a communication to NIST asking if they'd be willing to host
the leap-seconds.list on an https link
in addition to the existing ftp source. It's after-hours on a Friday
night, so I don't expect to hear back
soon, but I think it's a start. They _are_ a taxpayer funded entity, so
they would hopefully be open to
accomodating a request like this.

--
Paul Theodoropoulos