ntpq quirks

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Sep 21 03:48:36 UTC 2018

Anybody familiar with the retransmission code?

It seems to hang occasionally.  A wild guess, there is some backoff code in
there that increases the retransmission timer.  That's good.  I'm guessing
that my problem is that the timer gets too big.  It's not actually hanging,
just running very very very slowly.

I have a script that grabs lots of data from a remote site.  It should date a
few minutes.  It took 12 hours.  That's 83K slots from the mru list.

/usr/local/bin/ntpq -nc "mru mincount=1000 sort=avgint"