SINGLESOCK - How much to strip away?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed May 30 19:17:11 UTC 2018

Hal Murray:
>As much as I'd like to clean up this area, I think we should put it on the
>back burner for now.

What makes it a better idea to wait?

>There is a slightly related area that needs cleaning up.  There are no
>externally visible impacts so there is no reason not to do it.  I don't have
>a good tag.  Maybe RECVBUF.
>
>The current code has a queue of free buffers.  When a packet arrives, the IO
>code gets a buffer, reads in the data, and puts it on the work queue.
>Another loop takes buffers off the work queue and processes them.  The
>process-it code puts the buffer back on the free queue.
>
>All that queuing stuff is wasted effort.  It made sense back when the code
>read the data is a signal handler to get better arrival timing.  We now get
>good timing from the kernel.  Bouncing around on queues isn't doing anything
>other than keeping the CPU warm.
>
>There may be some rough edges with refclocks.  They will be easy to fix.

I agree. You've complained about this before and I think you were
right that time, too.

Are you interested in doing this yourself?

When all government ...in little as in great things... shall be drawn to
Washington as the center of all power; it will render powerless the checks
provided of one government on another, and will become as venal and oppressive
as the government from which we separated."	-- Thomas Jefferson, 1821