Fedora 28 - python warnings

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri May 11 18:07:17 UTC 2018

Yo Richard!

On Fri, 11 May 2018 12:56:56 -0500
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 05/11/2018 12:00 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> >> In Debian, I explicitly invoke waf with python3:
> >> python3 waf configure ...
> >
> > Gack.  Typical Debian non-standard behavior.
>
> How else would you suggest running waf under python3?

As I said, fix '/usr/bin/env python'.  That is what the Python people
want.

> When giving your
> answer, keep in mind that you can't assume that /usr/bin/python exists
> at all.

never did, which is why NTPsec NEVER, EVER, EVER uses /usr/bin/python!

> So you can't, for example, run it under /usr/bin/python, pass
> a --with or --python flag, and have it re-exec() itself under python3.

Not would I ever suggest it.  So best to argue against my suggestions,
not what you want me to suggest.

> >> Then I patch all the /usr/bin/env python to /usr/bin/python3 in
> >> these files:
> >
> > Not a good plan.  Better to fix '/usr/bin/env python' to return
> > python3 (as it should) and then all properly written python
> > programs will work.
>
> That's not at all how `env` works. It definitely should not take one
> executable name (python) and run another (python3).

Funny, that is how Gentoo, and every other distro I use does it.  it
is also what Python recommends.  So I'm not gonna rock the boat, but instead
stick with the long settled, tried and true, solution as NTPsec does.

> >> On Debian, the gps python module is only built for Python2,
> >
> > Sounds like a Debian bug.  Send then a bug report.
> I have:

Cool.  And interesting comments.  I like this:

Should NTPsec do that?