Fedora 28 - python warnings

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Fri May 11 17:56:56 UTC 2018

On 05/11/2018 12:00 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
>> In Debian, I explicitly invoke waf with python3:
>> python3 waf configure ...
>
> Gack.  Typical Debian non-standard behavior.

How else would you suggest running waf under python3? When giving your
answer, keep in mind that you can't assume that /usr/bin/python exists
at all. So you can't, for example, run it under /usr/bin/python, pass a
--with or --python flag, and have it re-exec() itself under python3.

>> Then I patch all the /usr/bin/env python to /usr/bin/python3 in these
>> files:
>
> Not a good plan.  Better to fix '/usr/bin/env python' to return python3
> (as it should) and then all properly written python programs will work.

That's not at all how `env` works. It definitely should not take one
executable name (python) and run another (python3).

>> On Debian, the gps python module is only built for Python2,
>
> Sounds like a Debian bug.  Send then a bug report.
I have:

Richard