How do I fix a typo in a git commit comment?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Mar 25 08:56:43 UTC 2018

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> If it weren't in the public repo this would be easy - I'm enclosing a script
> that does this.

> Since it is, I'd have to edit it here, then unprotect the public master
> branch, then force-push, then reprotect it. This will take the public repo
> temporarily out of service and confuse/inconvenience people who have cloned
> or pulled since your commit.

> Is this important enough to do that?

If nothing else, we should document the issues.  A reference to this
discussion might be appropriate.  Do we have a FAQ type place to collect
things like this?

We have various typos in the commit comments.  Most of the time, the
existence of a typo is obvious and I can figure out what is going on.  This
one is different in that the typo is a wrong number which doesn't produce any
hints of a typo to mentally correct.

How messy is it for people who have cloned/pulled to recover?  I think that's
the key issue.  Is this a good time for a trial run?

Are there any alternatives?  This seems like an interesting enough case that I expect there should be a reasonable way to recover.  (Only the text in the commit comment needs to change.)  What do other projects do?