-g broken

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Mar 24 00:15:51 UTC 2018

Gary said:
> The raspberry pi has no RTC.  When it starts cold, the time may well be in
> 1969.  Somehow, not sure how, that becomes 2134.  Then gpsd uses that as the
> GPS epoch, and things go downhill from there...

So gpsd does something stupid and you expect ntpd to figure out how to
recover?

This is a good example of the sort of heuristic I was talking about.  If the
time really is in 2134, then gpsd might be doing the right thing.  But how
likely is that?

------

Do we know how a Raspberry Pi sets its clock during boot?  This seems like
something worth tracking down and documenting.  I'd guess it gets it from the
file system.

I just rebooted a Pi with ntpd disabled.  It came up with a sensible time.  I
powered it off for several minutes and it came up with the time when I
powered it off.