-g broken

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Mar 23 22:06:17 UTC 2018

Yo Hal!

On Fri, 23 Mar 2018 14:52:31 -0700
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> > I want my clock not stuck in 2134.  -g alone does not fix that.
>
> Back to the beginning.  Where does 2134 come from?

The raspberry pi has no RTC.  When it starts cold, the time may well be
in 1969.  Somehow, not sure how, that becomes 2134.  Then gpsd uses that
as the GPS epoch, and things go downhill from there...

> > 'tos minsane 3' fixes it, unless I'm offline, which is pretty
> > common for RasPi.
>
> If you are getting bogus time from a local source and you want to
> work offline, you are pretty much screwed.

Chicken and egg.  The local GPS is giving good time, just does not
know the proper epoch.

In the default ntpd case with the addition of external chimers, ntpd
gets the wrong answer.

At a minimum the doc can be improved, or an FAQ added, to avoid this
common issue.