-g broken

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Mar 23 21:16:01 UTC 2018

>> I'm not sure the case you are describing.
> Hangs, as in unresponsive, frozen.  ntpmon fails to update its output.

Is that a problem in ntpd or ntpmon?  Try ntpq -p from another window and/or
tail rawstats to see if it is getting any answers.

> Seems to me any daemon that crashes itself on purpose is broken.

I think that time is delicate enough that halting is preferable to doing
something stupid.  You can figure out what you would like to happen in this
case, but I doubt if that covers all similar cases.

There is a pile of heuristics buried in ntpd.  It would be good to collect
and document them.  Not wildly steping the clock is one area.

>> One reason I added the code that turned into ntpfrob's -b option was
>> so we could easily experiment with things like this.
> Love to, how would I do that?

man ntpfrob