-g broken

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Mar 23 21:02:24 UTC 2018

Yo Hal!

On Fri, 23 Mar 2018 13:34:53 -0700
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Gary said:
> >> It's a flag, not a variable.  -g sets it.
> > Yeah, and most daemons let you put flags in the config file.
>
> I'd be happy with a policy that said anything you can do on the
> command line you can also do in the config file, but it doesn't seem
> like a big deal.

I'd like that.

> [tinker doc for panic and step*]
> > Ugh, improving this is gonna be hard...
>
> Are you commenting on the documentation or the actual implementation?

I'm not sure yet.  I'm open to any approach that does not leave a user
helpless.

> That seems like a pretty obscure corner to spend much time on.

Yes, very obscure if you have  an RTC.  But RasPi does not, so very
common on the RasPi world.

> What do you want beyond what -g provides?

I want my clock not stuck in 2134.  -g alone does not fix that.
'tos minsane 3' fixes it, unless I'm offline, which is pretty common
for RasPi.