Testing Python3

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Mar 22 12:55:30 UTC 2018

> esr at thyrsus.com said:
> > Alas, the client tools are difficult ebnough to test-jig that I have to
> > hand-test under Python 3 before releases.  I have a routine for this and I
> > assume Ian does as well.
>
> How much testing do you do by hand?  Is that written down anyplace?  Should
> it be on the release checklist?  ...

I've never tried do describe that kind of testing because it's not
easy to tell people without prior experience running the clients what a
success/failure indication looks like.  Of course alarm bells would go
off on a crash, but the most definite thing I could say otherwise is
"suspect a problem if the number don't look lilke they usually do".

If I put that in a set of test instructions I think it would be more
annoying than useful.

I always do ntpmon first, as that test excerises the packet library pretty
well and would be more difficult to test jig than others becuse of the
ncurses otput.

I dump clock and system variables using ntpq to check that they look sane.

I test ntpdig and ntpwait.