[LEAPSECS] current / future state of UT1 access?

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Mar 20 20:11:34 UTC 2018

Yo Hal!

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 11:52:35 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> Gary said:
> > Currently I am playing with a Javad GPS that lets you set your PPS
> > to GPS, SBAS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BeiDou, QZSS, IRNSS, UTC(USNO),
> > UTC(SU), UTC(SBAS), UTC(GALILEO), UTC(BeiDou), UTC(QZZSS) or
> > UTC(IRNSS)
>
> What is the theoretical spread on all those different flavors of
> time?  How does that compare to the spread from an actual receiver?

UT1 tp UTC can vary -0.9 to 0.9 seconds.  I think some versions of
leap smear are around -0.5 to 0.5 seconds, but could be as much
as 1 second.

This old paper says the UTC to GLONASS offset can be almost 38 micro
seconds:

    http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ptti/1990papers/Vol%2022_06.pdf

I think 1/2 second is worth worrying about.  A few would care about
38 micro seconds.