Python shebang policy

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Mar 20 16:58:28 UTC 2018

Gary E. Miller via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 11:30:33 -0400 (EDT)
> "Eric S. Raymond via devel" <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
>
> > The shebang lines in our Python scripts point to "python".  Part of
> > our standard tests check that you can change that to "python3" without
> > breaking anything.
>
> Uh, no, you break Gentoo.  gentoo allows a user to have at least 7
> different pythons installed at the same time.  I alsmost always have 3
> installed for testing.

In that sentence "you" is the distro maintainer.  Not us.

> Please leave the shebang as it is so I, gentoo users, and those of other
> OS, can change the Python interpreter to use at runtime.

Right, that's exactly choice (b). I think maybe you read too quickly
and jumped to a wrong conclusion.  Unless Mark weighs in with some
political consideration of which I wot not, we're not going to do
a damn thing about this.

I think your objection to having waf futz with them is sound.