Python shebang policy

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Mar 20 16:44:13 UTC 2018

Yo Eric!

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 11:30:33 -0400 (EDT)
"Eric S. Raymond via devel" <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> The shebang lines in our Python scripts point to "python".  Part of
> our standard tests check that you can change that to "python3" without
> breaking anything.

Uh, no, you break Gentoo.  gentoo allows a user to have at least 7
different pythons installed at the same time.  I alsmost always have 3
installed for testing.

Please leave the shebang as it is so I, gentoo users, and those of other
OS, can change the Python interpreter to use at runtime.

> We think the choice that minimizes overall pain, and directs it to
> the party best able to cope, is clear.  We choose (b).

Minimizes your pain, not mine.

> Any comment or objection?

Yup, I object.