ntpd.service change

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 8 03:28:43 UTC 2018

On 08-03-18 01:52, Richard Laager wrote:
>> What about the spec file?
>
> There are a couple of different issues here:
>
> 1) You want to use /etc/sysconfig/ntpd.

Not in this one. (see attachment)
This was fixed after the systemd tip you gave me.

> 2) Should the packaging on any particular distro use /etc/sysconfig/ntpd?

What is the difference here?
One can use /etc/systemd/system/ntpd.service.d/whatever.conf but that
requires a bit of systemd knowledge.
/etc/sysconfig/ntpd has been there for ages and people might know this
location.
I guess this is transitionary.
The project ships an ntpd.service without reference to /etc/sysconfig/ntpd

> For #2, I think one should follow the distro conventions. If it is
> customary for _systemd_ (not sysvinit) services to use /etc/sysconfig/
> files for options on RedHat, then ntpd.service should be customized in
> this way in packaging/RPM/ntpsec.spec. Likewise for
> packaging/SUSE/ntpsec.spec. If the distros make different choices, the
> two .spec files would take different approaches.

Reasonable.

Udo