ntpd.service change

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Thu Mar 8 00:52:45 UTC 2018

On 03/07/2018 06:40 AM, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> So the ntpd.service change is not needed.

To be absolutely clear, drop-in files in /etc are for the administrator.
If using /etc/sysconfig/ntpd is desirable in the packaging for a
particular distro, the ntpd.service in /lib should be updated directly.

> What about the spec file?

There are a couple of different issues here:

1) You want to use /etc/sysconfig/ntpd.

2) Should the packaging on any particular distro use /etc/sysconfig/ntpd?

We have now addressed #1.

For #2, I think one should follow the distro conventions. If it is
customary for _systemd_ (not sysvinit) services to use /etc/sysconfig/
files for options on RedHat, then ntpd.service should be customized in
this way in packaging/RPM/ntpsec.spec. Likewise for
packaging/SUSE/ntpsec.spec. If the distros make different choices, the
two .spec files would take different approaches.

I don't use either distro, so I take no specific position.

--
Richard