Python talk Wed: Guido: Optional Static Typing for Python

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Jun 8 21:44:24 UTC 2018

Yo Hal!

On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 21:33:56 -0700
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Video at:
>   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiZKuyLKvAA

Thanks for that.  A bit long at an hour and 17 minutes, but very tight.

Clearly the "Strong typing is for weak minds" crowd is losing a bit of
ground in the Python world.

> They are focusing on Python 3.  Dropbox has updated 2 out of 6
> million lines of code.

Guido said the Python 2 type comments are compatible with Python 3.
I'll think I'll try to use them soon.

> How much longer will we support python 2?  I think Guido said it goes
> EoL at the start of 2020, but will probably be in use long after
> that.

And Guido took a swipe at Google for still having 10's of millions of
lines of Python 2.  With such a big fan as Google, I'd be surprised if
Python 2 support goes away in 2020.  Bets anyone?

>  Do any of our current targets not support Python 3?

I think all our current targets support 2 and 3.  But these frequently
break.