Python talk Wed: Guido: Optional Static Typing for Python

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jun 8 04:33:56 UTC 2018

Video at:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiZKuyLKvAA

I thought it was good.  I really like type checking.  I remember the first
time I figured out what was going on when the compiler gave me an error
message for using foo where I wanted foo*.  Thank you!

 I'm not enough of a language geek to run with it.  (Maybe limp, with a lot
of effort.)

They are focusing on Python 3.  Dropbox has updated 2 out of 6 million lines
of code.

The general idea is to add info to the source code that the runtime ignores
but pypy can process.  Python 2 requires different syntax.

There is some mechanism for adding info without editing the source.  TypeShed
is the buzzword.  It contains type info on lots of the system libraries.

---------

How much longer will we support python 2?  I think Guido said it goes EoL at
the start of 2020, but will probably be in use long after that.  Do any of
our current targets not support Python 3?