SINGLESOCK - How much to strip away?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Jun 2 20:57:12 UTC 2018

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> Isn't such state retention something that should be keyed by server IP
> address? I don't really see how the interface can be relevant.

Yes, there is state for each server ntpd is using stored by the server's IP
address.

Currently, part of that state is the interface used to talk to that server.
(and implicitly, the local IP Address)

--------

Are you trying to say that we can drop the interface tracking if we switch to
listening on a single wildcard socket?  (If so, I'd missed that in any
previous discussions.)

I can't think of why we actually need it.  I would have to scan the code to
look.

One example is the don't synchronize with self case.  That could be fixed
with a few lines of code in the path of processing a response.

-------

A potential case where we might want to do something is a laptop with WiFi
that goes to sleep and wakes up in a different location.  The interface
down/up gives us the hooks we need.  That would be better served with hooks
for going to sleep and waking up.  I don't know the details of this area.
(other than the restart from dhcp I mentioned recently)

If you move but keep your laptop active, interesting things happen when you
change from one access point to another.  Hooks from dhcp changes would be
handy.  A signal would work.