Additional pps-gpio

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Jan 31 18:58:49 UTC 2018

Yo Achim!

On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 19:47:30 +0100
Achim Gratz via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller via devel writes:
> > I'm comparing SkyTraq PPS to the u-blox 6 USB PPS.
>
> I'm still curious about that "uBlox-6 USB PPS", do you happen to know
> what chipset is actually in there?  What's the USB ID?

Bus 001 Device 016: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port

Just a plain old uBlox 6 connected to a plain old PL2303.

Model GR-601W.  I bought a box of them many years ago, had to special
order them.  Only the W suffix has PPS connected. I asked them why not
always provide PPS.  They said always having PPS connected confused too
many software packages, and users.

http://www.idealez.com/tmresources/store/137948/GR-601_flyer-150703.pdf

They now make a GR-801W.

> I've
> just tried that again with both the uBlox-6 and uBlox-8 and while I
> can attach the PPS line discipline to the interface, no PPS ever gets
> generated on that device.

Some GPS USB mice connect up PPS, most do not.  Dunno what your issue
is.

> If they can actually do that, I'd be
> interested in how to enable that capability.

Plug and go for me.