Catching up

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sun Jan 7 22:27:11 UTC 2018

On 01/07/2018 04:27 AM, Hal Murray via devel wrote:
> Is there a recipe for setting our stuff up to use Python3 when the system defaults python to Python2?

For the Debian packaging, I do two things:

1) Instead of ./waf configure/build/install, I use: python3 waf ...
2) I patch the #!/usr/bin/env python to be #!/usr/bin/python3

This isn't fully thought through, but one idea would be:

Have waf capture the path to python. Then, substitute that in during
./waf install. Instead of the default substitution (@VARIABLE@), I would
probably do a custom one. That way, the scripts can be run directly from
the source tree (with the /usr/bin/env shebang).

--
Richard